Monday, July 17, 2006

Over Easy Egg Harbor


I am so ready to head off to Wisconsin this coming Sunday. Even the prospect of an early morning departure doesn't dampen my enthusiasm because that means I'll get there sooner. I know a new place never turns out as I have imagined, but I plan to have a really good time.

I will leave the computer behind. I am only taking books, my trusty iPod, playing cards, and crossword puzzles for entertainment. The resort where I will be staying is not in any way rustic, yet I intend to idle the old brain as much as possible. Watching the sun set, riding on a ferry boat, browsing in little shops, and easy walks along the shore sound absolutely perfect.

Now how this all actually transpires will be most interesting. I always meet some truly memorable people at these meetings like Diamond, the sparkling Canadian psychoanalyst with whom I rode the streetcars one spring evening in New Orleans. Or the Polish psychoanalyst who honored me with a dance accompanied by the live music of Harry Connick Sr's orchestra. Or Ernie, the bad boy rabbi from Racine WI, who carried on a running satirical commentary throughout a Bowen Family conference keynote address which left us both in stitches. It's always unusual.

There are several other workshops for headshrinkers taking place at the same time as mine. Since mine is entitled Using Humor in Psychotherapy, I expect to laugh a lot. Who knows maybe the grant writing workshop will turn out to be the fun group. In the past I have been directed to wear my professional uniform. No doubt the uniform generates instant respect. However this time,I will be incognito..looking like a pleasant gray-haired middle aged lady on vacation. The only question is whether to pack my red foam clown nose? I suppose I could wear it on the plane.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have a wonderful, wonderful trip! I highly recommend bringing the clown nose- you can never tell when it'll come in handy. I myself always have at least one unusual object on my at all times. For example, in my purse today, I am carying a D-tuned tin whistle. Thus, in times of trouble, I can always pull it out and do a rousing rendition of "Dunderbeck" or "Ladies of Spain."

the good enough mother said...

Have clown nose, will travel :) Have tin whistle, will toot!

Anonymous said...

Hi Mom+!

Found you through the good wife's blog. Have fun on your trip. And nice cow picture.

Jeff

the good enough mother said...

Hey favorite son-in-law! Glad you found me! I thought it was a nice cow too.