Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Turkey Shoot



Sunday, the Fire Department held its annual turkey shoot out at the police firing range. I was looking forward to using use my new shotgun this year and enjoyed the day immensely. Hubster raked up by winning the 50/50 raffle and two turkeys. I was a hair's breadth away from winning my own turkey. I've saved my target as proof. Oh well, two turkeys is more than enough. TA was there and he won a turkey as well. Except for one brief shower, it was a wonderful day to be outside.

The fellow, who beat me out of my turkey, won 12 turkeys last year. He talked enthusiastically to us about frying his turkeys. He is obviously the cook because he knew about oil and meat temperatures and even recommended a favorite concoction to inject into Mr. Tom before immersing him in the hot oil. I was sold, so today I went out to my favorite farm supply emporium to buy a turkey fryer, a big box of oil, a digital fork thermometer and several jars of flavoring to shoot into the bird. The picture on the box shows several smiling men hanging around the fryer perhaps telling hunting stories and throwing back a couple of brewskies. Around here, it will be me (knocking back a cup of herbal tea) and the dog, keeping an eye on the turkey as it fries to a deep brown crisp.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WOW! I had fried turkey for the first time in Arizona at Mr. 42's family reunion, and was seriously impressed. You're so smart to do it on the gravel- more fires are started from turkey frys, most likely due to the men standing around with their brewskies. :D Congratulations on your near win, and enjoy your hard-earned feast! :D