Sunday, January 28, 2007

Making progress

Today is the first day in nearly a week that I feel better than the day before. I am really encouraged that full recovery is coming soon. It is bitterly cold this morning. I just rooted through the freezer to see if I have supper makings and I do, so I won't have to venture outside for a grocery run. I plan to stay put in front of the fire which the hubster has been dutifully tending and next to the humidifier that is trying its best to pump moisture into the very dry air.

It's interesting how my brain shifts gears when I'm sick. I have done a bunch of Sudoku puzzles, watched two movies, and read some poetry. This morning I reread "The Rime of the Ancient Mariner" and as in past readings I was totally pulled into this marvelous tale. Once again I am aware how often this work is quoted and how its metaphors have become part of our language. I dug up the Coleridge because this week I was given a poem to read about the Titanic. I guess one poem about a doomed ship reminded me of another poem about a doomed ship. Once I opened the poetry anthology, I dipped into some Tennyson, some Housman, bit of Blake and finished with Robert Louis Stevenson.

I have also been reading with "The Trouble with Poetry" by Billy Collins which I bought after hearing him on the Prairie Home Companion. Until then I didn't know of him. I have been enjoying this collection very much. I do know that when an artist is popular that he gets the label of a lightweight. Those in the know (don't you know) sniff at anything that the masses (those who really have no taste) like. To the pundits, I reply, quoting my oldest daughter, "piffle". So I offer his poem "Sonnet" which I hope brings a smile and does not infringe on any copyrights.

No comments: