Friday, February 02, 2007

Beware of hormones and the full moon


Finally I am recovered from that nasty cold which hung on for a full snotty week. It's a good thing because I have four new patients this week. Where do they come from? I do not advertise, I have no listings in any phone books and yet they keep coming and many from quite a distance. It humbles me greatly to think that something transpires in our sessions which motivates people to drive up to an hour and a half each way.

Last night I was really tired and was grateful when the last patient canceled out. Upon checking the mail at home, I was annoyed to find some cryptic notice from the state Department of Revenue concerning income that might or might not have been deducted twice. This was sent on a blasted postcard with ensuing threats of penalties if we didn't do something if indeed there was an error. Hubster gets paranoid when such communiques arrive. I get cynical. I quip that this must be our governor's new tactic to balance the state's bloated budget. Oh well. Can't do anything about it at 8:30 at night.

Then I go to print out a receipt for a DVD I ordered from Amazon for the office. I like to have a handy dandy receipt on file for my business purchases. Well the *#&!?%! printer is majorly malfunctioning. I change cartridges, clean nozzles, align heads and it won't print out any black. This happened the last time a printer died and Epson gave me a super good deal on a replacement. But dang that was just two years ago...the same exact scenario. It's making me think seriously about the dependability of Epson products. They obviously make their money on the ink cartridges. I am afraid I snapped at Hubster when he checked up on me and asked why I was holed up in the back room. Time to shut down and head for bed.

And, oh yes...there's a full moon tonight. And it's PMS time too. Even though I am post-menopausal, I still experience hormonal fluctuations. I saw hormonal and lunar chaos all day at work...fights between mothers and daughters, fights between spouses, fights between co-workers, blue moods and silly thinking. Hormones and the full moon. One patient told me that native Americans say that when a woman has her period she is on her moon. In these days of the pill, I suspect there is less coordination between the moon and menstrual cycles, but both must be factored in when I examine my own reactions and those of my patients. Is my irritation due to me or is it them? Was I ok until I interacted with someone else? Or have I been testy all day? Check the calendar. Could the moon or hormones be a factor? I just don't like to snap at people. Hubster is probably blaming himself for the dying printer anyway since he uses it all the time to print out photographs. Worst case scenario is it's time to get a new printer. And I'll drop that blasted Department of the Revenue postcard off at our accountant's office on my way to work and let him figure it out.

No comments: