Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Blog Fog


I get intimidated by reading other people's blogs. Some people are so witty or at least they find clever interesting things to post. Maybe they know more clever interesting people than I. Some people have great impassioned, clear cut opinions. I'm still trying to figure out what mine are. I read the daily newsfeeds from both NPR and Fox if this gives any indication. I figure something resembling the truth may reside somewhere in between. But I am unable to give a really informed opinion about much of anything. I am so aware of my ignorance.

I don't travel that much, so I don't have pictures to post of me standing in front of famous landmarks or beautiful places. Hmm, maybe that's not such a bad thing.

My kids are grown, I don't have adorable grandchildren and my dog is a dedicated slug so there aren't many cute stories to blog. Well my kids are still very adorable but they are big enough to have their own blogs now. They've been misquoted by me long enough.

About all I can do is share some stories about the people I meet and perhaps recommend some music or books that I feel are worthwhile. In the past nine months, I've been taking a crash course on the world of the very old. I needed this course to be sure but it's frequently very redundant, messy, exasperating and just plain strange. It's certainly not what I expected when I invited my mother to move here. I had some notion that we'd have heart to heart talks about the meaning of life and I'd glean some great insights from sitting at her feet. Well, that illusion hit the dust when I found not wisdom but deeply entrenched reflexive patterns. To gain wisdom, one must actively seek it and she never did. But I have learned a lot about me and that a lot of my dorkiness was copied directly from my mother. That's been most valuable to learn and quite useful to teach.

No comments: