Monday, May 14, 2007

Afterglow


It was a lovely Mother's Day. The weather was perfect and it is such a pretty time of year in our woods.The picture was taken in my yard.

Hubster, son and I ate out Saturday which left Sunday free. Hubster washed my car for me and cleaned out the gas grill. How's that for sweet? Older daughter and hubby left a hilarious song on the answering machine. He played his clarinet and she sang "Hello Muddah" with personalized lyrics. It was just priceless.

When I went out to see Mother, I found the nursing unit at the hospital was offering punch and cookies for all the guests. It was good to see that the floor was full of families visiting. My mother's crisis de jour was a missing hairbrush which I couldn't find either. I brought her out some new clothes. The hospital laundry is so hard on clothing and so many articles get lost that I am constantly replacing items. For a long time, she didn't care what she wore, now she does. That ember of vanity has been rekindled. There isn't much else she would enjoy receiving other than flowers, some candy, clothes and CDs. My sister sends her many music CDs and has arranged for Fourth Presbyterian Church in Chicago to send Mother CDs of their service. That was an inspired idea and gives her something to expect in the mail. The senior pastor there is a former beloved pastor of hers and Dad's.

Son rode out later in the day. He just bought a used Harley. He was given a leather skull cap (complete with silver skull studs) and cool motorcycle goggles. In this get up, it's hard to believe it's my boy at first glance, but his distinctive grin gives him away. But that machine of his is so loud! Of course he just loves revving the engine.

Hubster was summoned to work on an emergency about the time I was putting burgers on the newly cleaned grill. Youngest daughter called not long after he left. We had time for a good long mother-daughter talk which warmed the cockles of this mother's heart.

The burgers were later grilled to perfection if I do say so myself. I was given some wonderful local asparagus which I fixed along with home-made potato salad. It was a perfect finale to a very good day, made extra special by my dear children and their dad.

No comments: