Thursday, May 24, 2007

Sweet smell



I caught my first hint of honeysuckle last Saturday. Taking an evening stroll a few days later, the aroma was even stronger. As I drove home last night, I passed by a long bank of honeysuckle bushes that filled my car with the sweetest of smells.

A childhood friend taught me how to sip nectar from the honeysuckle blossoms. I taught my children how to do the same. I didn't know until I read the Wikipedia article that honeysuckle is also used by homeopathic practitioners. Perfume and soap makers have attempted to duplicate the essence but it's never the same. I also learned honeysuckle grows all over the northern hemisphere. Somehow it's comforting to think of other people in China, Germany, Sweden and Canada taking time to sip honeysuckle nectar and sniff its lovely aroma.

No comments: