Monday, May 21, 2007

May Monday morning musings



Son brought home a dog yesterday. Angel is a three year old Treeing Walker Coonhound which he bought for $100 off of a guy who got her in a trade. She reminded me of a foxhound. I found out later that the breed is rooted in English foxhounds and crossed with Tennessee lead. They are also known as Tennessee coonhounds. Initially there was some talk of giving Angel to the hubster for his birthday only if we liked her. We both said we did. Even so, Angel went home with son last night. I suspect she'll be out here a lot for runs and romps with our dog. I'm hoping Angels hates son's fenced in yard and he will ask us to keep her for him. She's a wonderful creature.

According to a news piece sent to me, this summer the seventeen year locust, aka cicadas, will hatch in the northern part of the state. The Ravinia Music Festival north of Chicago has changed its schedule to accommodate the loud drone of these insects by holding more events indoors (a string quartet would be drowned out) and booking loud bands and the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. It'll take more than cicadas to drive out the Mormons.

I'd heard that the strawberry crop was poor this year because of the late cold snap, so I was delighted to see a sign for local strawberries in front of Bullards Produce in Fairfield IL. I'd never been in this wonderful store before. They sell their own canned goods, local produce, and Amish foods from Indiana. They also sell giant pumpkin seeds should you want to grow your very own great pumpkins. Their strawberries were tiny but as sweet and juicy as they come. A few years back I met Mr. Bullard at a farmers market in Mt. Vernon. I bought some herbs from him then and he told me he had purchased an orchard in the area and had stands a several other farmer's markets. It's so neat that more people are using our rich farm land to grow food for us instead of just corn and beans for the big agribusinesses. And the quality simply can't be beat.

My CD of the week is Michael Buble's "Call Me Irresponsible". Check out his web site if you're interested in hearing him. My current read is the oldie Uh-Oh by Robert Fulghum of Everything I learned in Kindergarten fame. In an early chapter he shares his delight in finding leftover meatloaf in the refrigerator on a nighttime raid. Co-raider grandson creates a meatloaf sandwich with gummy worms, grape jelly and Fritos. Fulghum's sweet kind words are such a balm.

No comments: