Monday, August 06, 2007

Fraud and good service


Last week someone stole one of my credit card numbers. GAP called me inquiring if I had made a certain on-line purchase. When I said I hadn't, they said they'd cancel the order and suggested I contact American Express. I did and found out there were four unauthorized charges on the same day. The account was promptly closed, the stolen orders canceled and withing 24 hours I had a new card. I was pleased the fraud detectors at GAP were so vigilant, but puzzled as to how the thieves got my number seeing as the last time I used it was to book a flight to a conference using the American Express travel services. I have no idea how someone got a hold of the number. Youngest daughter had the same thing happen with a newly issued American Express card. Someone "bought" an armload of iPods with her card, which instantly set off the fraud meters. In both cases, there was no haggling about the unauthorized charges.

Amazon also gave me good service this week. I ordered some pressies for daughter's boyfriend which according to UPS tracking were delivered but were never received by the birthday boy. Amazon has replaced them, no questions asked. I was impressed.

On a different note, I had to laugh when a new shipment of talking books arrived for my mother. These were ordered many months ago. Sadly she can no longer operate the tape machine or follow the plot of a novel. Keep in mind, she is a wobbly 90 year old who lives in a nursing home.The titles are:

- Nowhere to Run
- The Case of the Dangerous Dowager
- Wisdom Sits in Places
- Breaking Her Fall

No comments: