Monday, September 03, 2007

Cabining



Hubster and I did marvelous work in the basement. Decades of old toys, junk, dead mice and odd things that we've been given over the year have been hauled outside to a pile which will sit until son's buddy from the fire department hauls it away. Oldest daughter moved to California seven years ago. I had consolidated the ten boxes she left in her room after college into five. Today there are none! I did unearth a few finds like her old Gameboy that still works great, three power strips, two screwdrivers, a box of 80 Band aids, and a nice pair of gloves. Squatters rights here unless she wants to wrestle me for them.

In between sessions in the basement, I have been pulling stuff together for the cabining trip. Since I'll be in a cabin, I can't call it a camping trip. I plan to do a lot of cooking over the old camp fire. I have been culling ideas from Camp Recipes and from Camping Recipes. There's the classic canned biscuit on a stick which you cook over the fire and then sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. A neat trick I'm trying is to marinate chicken breasts and freeze them in a plastic bag. They keep cold during transport and then you just plop them on the grill. I have shrimp marinating in a plastic bag for my supper tomorrow.

On the way I plan to stop at Lost Creek Orchards in hopes that their apples are ready. Apples can be wrapped in foil and baked in hot coals I've learned. There are marshmallows packed to roast as the sun sets over the lake. Perhaps there'll be an old owl hooting. No doubt mosquitoes to swat and a semi-tame raccoon wandering by hoping for a handout. Nothing much to do and that's precisely the point.

No comments: