Sunday, September 09, 2007

Wingshooting

I'm not sure if the gal on the left had a bad day on the range, or if the boys wouldn't let her play or what. I'd say to her, come with me girlfriend and we'll blast some clay pigeons together.

Yes, Gemother played with guns yesterday. I participated in a wingshooting clinic for women. Actually we were two women and two girls in the morning. In the afternoon two more women joined us. Wingshooting is the style of shooting one uses for hunting doves, pheasant, quail, geese, ducks etc. It is a totally different style of shooting than is used for deer. We used .28 gauge shotguns which are light and don't have much of a kick.

I'm pleased to report that I did not disgrace myself. Each time I shoot I get a bit better. And I enjoy learning from a variety of instructors.

Some poor DNR employee spent the day crouched behind a sheet of plywood. His sole purpose was to release a target every time we called "pull". The targets were thrown above our heads, away to the right, away to the left, and away from in front. The most fun were the doubles because there was a second chance.

One of the gals had never done much shooting. She couldn't hit a thing at first but was a really good sport about it. It had come up in conversation that she had recently left a bad marriage. The instructor laughingly suggested she imagine each target was her ex-husband. She did and she started hitting one after another. She did the best shooting of the afternoon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think it's so neat that you've taken this up as a hobby- it sounds cathartic and like great fun. Remind me not to do my highly realistic dove call when you've got out your .28 ;)