Friday, September 07, 2007

The Great Outdoors



The cabining trip was a rousing success in spite of a few mishaps like a wasp sting, the fire extinguisher falling on my head (got a goose egg from that), the skewers of shrimp falling in the coals and a burnt baked apple. The shrimp got rinsed off. Damned if I'd waste it. It crunched a bit but it was edible. I think should there be further attempts at baking apples in coals, I'll add the sugar later. I believe that's what cause it to burn.




I hiked a lot and found fishing more enjoyable than I had imagined. Didn't catch anything but I had some bites and more or less got over my squeamishness about handling night crawlers. I was too tired to read. I listened to music, napped, did crosswords, and played solitaire...with real cards..the kind you shuffle. The last night I just listened to music and watched the fire and the fading daylight.

If I go back I'll have to take the canoe. The big lake would be great fun to explore. I wonder if Cabela's makes some kind of canoe hoist. I doubt highly if I could get our canoe up onto the top of my car by myself.

I came home to a wonderful surprise. Son had picked up the old teacher's desk I won at the auction. Hubster had stripped it and revarnished it. At first I thought Son had picked up the wrong desk, but at second glance I saw that it had already been refinished to the original oak. I hope it doesn't cause old heretofore unknown school phobias to surface in my patients. If so, we do what we always do: analyze.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks absolutely wonderful, except for the small food mishaps and clobbering by fire extinguisher (Ow! Poor head!). How sweet of the boys to re-do your desk- what a marvelous surprise! Welcome back to the mad and occasionally civilized world, and I'm so happy you enjoyed your time away!