Monday, December 31, 2007

Last day of the year


For me the year 2007 is exiting in an ordinary way. There is laundry to do. Work clothes have to be pressed. I need cash to fill my wallet and food to fill the larder. While in town, I'll stop by to see my mother. I missed going out yesterday because I was taking youngest daughter to the airport. It was a nice drive and a sweet farewell. She's a very good person.

I am enjoying reading Christmas books, listening to newly downloaded (son gave me a most generous iTunes gift card), and watching a few movies. One daughter is an artist, the other daughter is a trained actor, so they look at film as an art form. I look mostly at the film's story and whether it has a something that might prove helpful to my patients. For example, "The Final Cut" with Robin Williams did not garner great heaps of critical acclaim nor will it make any one's list of all-time favorite movies. The movie is technically awkward in places but what it says about the nature of human memory is profound, i.e. that what we think we remember has frequently been distorted by our emotions. What may appear to be a clear cut memory may be a composite, a screen memory which blocks more emotionally intense memories, or even a complete confabulation.

This week I watched "The Ref". Embedded in this fluffy Christmas comedy are the themes of taking responsibility for one's own decisions and to stop blaming everyone else for your own misery. I lent it to son and once he's done, it will go out to some couples I work with.

No comments: