Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Reindeer Hoofbeats


Well, the annual stampede has begun. I had to hit the big box emporium yesterday which almost as frantic as I thought it would be. If this store is any indicator, it will be a very good year for their stockholders. Actually I've accomplished a lot on my seemingly endless to-do list. In less than three weeks, we'll all be sitting around digesting the enormous dinner we just consumed and thinking about the day.

I have my own little Christmas traditions which I like to observe. For the past few years I have created my own Christmas mix made of favorites songs from CDs and downloads from iTunes. This year's mix is as eclectic as ever with songs by Third Day, the Weepies, Barenaked Ladies and Brad Paisley mixed with Bach, Delius, and an interesting duet featuring Bing Crosby and David Bowie: "Peace on Earth/Little Drummer Boy". The last track is Louis Armstrong's delightful "Zat you Santa Claus?". The new mix will join my Christmas CD collection that serves as my personal soundtrack by which I wrap presents, iron, fold laundry, cook or run around town in my buggy.

I'm not a big scented candle person, but Vermont Country store sells the most wonderful pine and holly berry candles which are an utter delight to sniff. I like to arrange big candles on the fireplace mantle which is my nod to Dad who loved Christmas. Then there's the creche set which I bought when the kids were small. The figures are plastic so little hands could play with them. Sturdy little pieces they are. In the past thirty years only one has been damaged, a sheep who had a leg broken when someone stepped on it. He still is able to carry out his once a year job with the rest of the flock who guard the Christ child.

The Hubster has never shown much enthusiasm for outdoor Christmas displays. No, that's not quite correct. There was the life size wooden cut-out of Santa seated in his outhouse which was given to us by his brother. Brother-in-law and wife thought it was hilarious. They'd ordered it made just for us. It was the gift that unfortunately kept on giving. Every year, I hoped and prayed that Hubster would forget about the outhouse Santa; but every year he'd haul it out and set it down at the end of our driveway. If that wasn't embarrassing enough, he lit it with flood lights so the passersby could enjoy our seasonal decoration. Only he was sad when the thing finally fell apart.

That was Hubster's only voluntary contribution to outdoor decorating. I finally concluded that if there were to be anything tasteful, it would be up to me. I would be the one to hang the lights and I would be the one to take them down. Therefore the decorating would be very simple and would not entail the use of a ladder. I've taken to hanging multi-colored lights along the deck railing which I can enjoy from the kitchen sink and from my comfy chair. The lights are simply there for my own enjoyment. The first year I draped the lights in a way that impeded the Hubster's access to his bird feeders. There was not peace on earth at our house until I rearranged the string of lights. Each year I confer with him asking if he's absolutely sure that he doesn't want me to decorate the pole that supports the rope that goes to the pulley that raises his bird feeding station so that he can fill it. He now gives me a weak smile in response to my poor attempt at humor. Some things are just not funny to birders.

No comments: