Tuesday, September 19, 2006

T'was a good day..


I have enjoyed a blessedly normal day and a productive one at that. The house painters arrived this morning and spent the day power washing the house. Oh, it's going to look so great once they are done! I worked inside on the bathroom that will soon be re-papered. I washed down the log walls and used scratch remover on all the dark woodwork. It's looking better already. I also washed the curtains and canopy in our bedroom.

It's suddenly gotten very cool which might explain my burst of energy. It was too nice a day not to experience first hand, so I took an easy amble in the woods. The sassafras has changed and the maples are beginning to gain color. The woods have shrunk back significantly in the past few days. Yesterday I sent off my brother's birthday box, so I'm beginning to think of presents for the October and November birthday boys. I even ordered one Christmas gift this morning which is so totally un-me, that I astonish myself.

Mother was perky today. She'd had her hair done yesterday and a second epidural this morning. I brought her in a butterscotch sundae. She mumbled something about just having eaten lunch. I said that she didn't have to eat it if she didn't want it, but then she asked me if I had remembered to bring a spoon. She polished the whole thing off, scrapping right down to the very bottom of the dish. Today she was most appreciative of the hospital and its staff. Some days all she does is gripe. At least I could leave her in a good state and didn't have to worry. Hubster has called in the speech pathologist to see if there is anything to be done to help her expressive aphasia. I have my doubts, but at the very least it's more company during the day. Her church has been wonderful. They've sent cards, flowers and visited her. She has relished the attention.

Back home, the scent of pulled pork cooking in the crock pot was a lovely greeting when I entered the house. I picked up People magazine's Best and Worst dressed issue for some utterly vapid reading or as my youngest says to do some serious contemporary cultural research. I was also happy to learn when I checked my online news sources that the state police of Louisiana are tough on crime...nabbing Willie Nelson and cohorts for possession of marijuana. I wonder what made them check out his tour bus? I doubt if it will tarnish Willie's reputation. It will probably enhance it. Johnny Cash played up his prison record all his life.

After a good dinner with hubster and son, I downloaded some tracks from Diana Krall's newly released CD which I am enjoying as I type this. It has been a good day indeed and that is a very fine thing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you had a good day- it's such a pleasure to have one! I'm hoping to have a couple startnig tomorrow, when Jeff and I head off to Santa Cruz for Maddy and Clay's wedding. It's been so busy I don't know if I can finish everything I would like, but not so busy that I'm not enjoying myself :) Love you!