Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Gratitude

Today is a day that I once again realized how richly blessed I am. So here's my list of things and people for which I am grateful...in no particular order..just where my mind started wandering

1 Youngest daughter's 25th birthday. What a joy she's been to her dear old mother.
2. Youngest daughter is communicating much more frequently these days with the old folks at home. Yay!
3. Oldest daughter who brings so much fun, beauty and random silliness into my life. I can send her goofy gifts and she usually likes them. At least she's polite about my efforts and doesn't roll her eyes.
3.5 Oldest daughter's beautiful singing and kind heart which often bring tears to her mother's eyes.
4. Son, my firstborn, who has a clever sarcastic wit, a generous spirit, and the ability to fix almost anything.
4.5 Son who brings home the local gossip from his fellow firefighters and teaches me about the working man.
5. Husband whose smooches still make me smile after 34 years and who has supported me materially and with encouragement as I've ventured into my post-childrearing career.
5.5 And hasn't complained too much when my earnings bumped up our debt to the IRS and the state treasury
6. My friend, mentor and training analyst who has made this career possible which is about as high a compliment as I've ever received.
7. My dog who is so happy to see me when I've been gone that he follows me from room to room wiggling and snorting in joy that I'm finally home.
8. My fat leather chair and ottoman. There is no nicer spot to read or play on the 'puter.
9. The woods where I can have a private quiet walk alone with my thoughts and the critters.
10. My oldest friend Sudie who was just ordained a deacon in the Episcopal Church. At least one good thing has happened recently in that denomination.
11. iTunes and my iPod. Oh how I love to browse that site and explore all sorts of music that I would never find otherwise.
12 Amazon and other on-line bookdealers. What a boon to a voracious reader in a teeny tiny town a long ways from a decent bookstore.
13. And the joy when I open another delivery from the above book sellers.
14. Hot fresh coffee first thing in the morning.
15 Cold iced tea with fresh lemon on a summer afternoon.
16 Hot Tazo Calm tea with a snickerdoodle
17 Popcorn
18 Netflix..like #12 for movies. Sure beats our sad Blockbuster.
19 Squirrels..they make me smile.
20 My body with whom I am finally making friends. It is strong and healthy and can do pretty much what I need it to do.
21 On-line news services and newspapers where I can read what I want when I want and don't have to listen to the drivel ,teasers, and fluff that the networks call news reporting these days.
22. All my children are self-supporting, not in jail, and in good relationships.
23. And in excellent health.
24. Crossword puzzles, on-line Trivia contests and Snood Towers
25 My Teva mush flip-flops...pure comfort
26 Aleve and Norflex when my body objects to something I did.
27 Golden Retrievers
28 Good smelling potions from Bath&Body works, Body Shop, Kiehls or CO Bigelow
29 The Geico TV ad with James Brown
30 Zits, Foxtrot, Non Sequitur, Pickles and Doonesbury
32 My sister who sends me great books and understands like no one else what it was like growing up Evans.
33 My brother and my youngest brother-in-law who are good people to call on in a crisis.
34 My Mother who is teaching me about old age
35 My sweet little Jeep which is fun to drive, dependable and has a moon roof to open on nice summer days.
36 Pretty silk scarves to perk up the boring business suits I have to wear to work. My newest came from the Brooklyn Botanical Garden gift shop.
37 My magnet collection which reminds me of all the neat places me and my loved ones have been like the new one of red cherries from Door County.
38 The road to my house in now paved.
38.5 The new water well which gives us delicious water in adbundance
38.75 A very capable and efficient water heater
39 A short commute to work
40 Living in a safe place with few crazies, fanatics or dangerous people
41 My glasses
42 Audiobooks and Podcasts for long drives
43 Air conditioning
44 The satisfaction of watching someone who came into my office tense and unhappy leave at the hour's end relaxed and smiling.
45 Shaking hands with someone who has little human contact
45 Hearing laughter from someone who hasn't laughed in years, even decades.
46 Hearing the distinctive "Hello", "Hiya Ma" or "Hey" when I pick up the phone.
47 Spell checkers (alas not working here at Blogger.com)
48 Caller ID
49 The Bible, Ralph Waldo Emerson, Goethe, Shakespeare and Milton Erickson
50 Our neighbor, friend and automechanic par excellance. God bless him!
51 Our creator who is still in business, working through His people 24/7
51.5 Doctors without Borders, Mercy Corps, International Rescue Committee, Habitat for Humanity etc etc etc who inspire me in this world of cruel warlords, power hungry dictators, unbridled corporate greed and people who think blowing up themselves and others is God's will.
52 The people who financially support and work for the above groups. Blessed are the peacemakers.
53 Freshly ironed real cotton hankies
54 Owl conversations
55 Little kids who remind me to keep it simple and to enjoy the here and now
55.5 Larry the cable guy
55.75 Jon Stewart
56 Emails, blogs and live journals to keep in touch
57 My fast and capable hairdresser
58 Massage therapists..they have a special place in heaven
59 My cleaning lady..she comes today. Yay!

Any additions??

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm delighted to have made the list! Woo hoo! *does happy list dance* Yours is a comprehensive list of wonderful things. I might add "jasmine" to the list, but that's probably covered in the nice-smelling bath product list.

Anonymous said...

I would add grilled cheese sandwiches :D