Saturday, August 26, 2006

Light a candle



One Catholic tradition that I have always loved is lighting candles. I used to have silly thoughts that you had to be Catholic to light a candle or you had to have money. As a non-Catholic, I used to light and run before anyone caught me and questioned my denominational identity. In reality anyone is as welcome to light a candle as to say a prayer in a vacant pew. Slipping a few coins in the box just helps to pay for candles and matches. I'm sure any surplus goes to a good cause.

I am frequently moved by the sight of a stand of lit votive lamps, each candle representing the heartfelt prayer of someone usually unknown to me. What are those prayers for? Are they for healing, to conceive a child, for a wayward child, to find a spouse, for a difficult spouse, to find a new job, for discernment, for a safe trip, for wisdom, for strength, for patience or to be able to forgive? It is a poignant reminder that everyone struggles with something no matter what they look like from the outside.

No comments: