Thursday, November 23, 2006

Happy Thanksgiving


In between assembling the stuffing and prepping the big bird for the oven, I send wishes for a wonderful Thanksgiving. May it be a day of constant reminders of how richly blessed we are and how bountifully( said patting my plump tummy) the good Lord provides and cares for each of us. My prayer is that we can be lifted up above our own concerns and see with those inner eyes the wonders of this life.

On a personal note, youngest daughter arrived safe and sound with a big bag of fresh bagels in hand. What a great kid! The traffic on the interstate was only heavy in spurts so it was a pleasant drive to and from the major city airport. On the way I listened to Jan Karon's Light from Heaven on CD. It is sentimental, nostalgic and a good kind of story to enjoy at a sentimental, nostalgic time of year. The Mitford series, of which this book is the last, takes me back to my years as an Episcopalian. I can hear training analyst's voice saying something about regression in service to the ego at this point. Be that as it may. It is, however, very hard to see Fr. Tim, the series main character, attending this past year's General Convention of the Episcopal church . Does the church of this series even exist anymore? Or is it a kind of Brigadoon illusion? Anyway, fiction though it may be, the kindness, generosity, and faith of Karon's stories do warm the heart and I enjoyed my visit with Fr. Tim et al.

Son will be joining us later today. Oldest daughter and her husband are enjoying the day with his family. I am forever grateful to his family for so warmly welcoming her into their family. As her mother I think "what's not to love?", but it blesses me that she has found such a great home away from home. So now I'm off to consult a cookbook so I know how long to cook this year's second annual flat chested mail order turkey. Once the bird is roasting, I'll take daughter and son out to visit their grandmother at the nursing facility. This is this the gloomy part of this day since last year she was able to join us for Thanksgiving dinner. This year she is too frail so we must go to her. It should brighten her day to see the grands. Happy Thanksgiving to everyone who stops by and remember the words of the famous chefs "Baste, baste, baste".

No comments: