Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Reality TV: "Who wants to be a Saint?"

Happy All Saints Day to one and all! The concept of sainthood has always intrigued me, at times amused me since it seems to go so contrary to the humility that Jesus models for us. Yet, there sainthood sits with its implication that some people do the faith walk far better than others. They make the all-star team and win the believer's super bowl ring. They are held up as ideals of charity, fidelity, zeal and all manner of Christian virtue. Some saints in the making are blessed with stigmata and the ability to be in two places at the same time. Personally I'll pass on bloody hands. And I get in more than enough trouble as is, in just one place.

Saints, however, are rarely lay men or women, and to my knowledge never ever married lay women. So I am already out of the running. I might stand a chance, a very slight chance, should I outlive my husband, then become a nun and found a new religious order. What silliness it is to think that ordinary people cannot be Saints of God! I personally think that the world is full of these beacons of God's goodness who are doing his work anonymously out in the world every day. Anonymously, that is the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing. These Saints may not be responsible for documented miracles, but their lives bless those who cross their paths. I think of the Saint who brought my mother a heated blanket when she was lying in the emergency room. Or the Saint who changed our flat tire and then gave us his jack because ours was broken. Or the volunteers who come to lead worship services or help with activities for the old people in nursing homes. Or Saints who bring food to bereaved families right after the funeral, send cards to shut-ins or prisoners, and treat all people as though they were God's children. Some differentiate between big "S" Saints and little "s" saints , a nod that saintly activity just might occur outside the walls of that church body.

I suppose a new reality show could be developed called "Who wants to be a Saint?", or "The Christian non-Idol". The Vatican's ratings have been kind of low recently. Canterbury's ratings aren't any better. A new attractive charismatic saint who could go on an international tour might just be the ticket. But my version of this reality show probably wouldn't have any bishops, heads of charitable organizations or theologians . My version would never get off the ground because the people I see as Saints never see themselves that way. They wouldn't even show up for the auditions because they'd be visiting the sick, feeding the hungry, raising their kids, and loving their neighbors.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, who wants to watch telelvision about people that don't make you feel smugly superior? ;D I thought of you this morning humming "For all the saints" as I made my way to work today.